Remuera Historic Heritage Sites

 

SIGN UP FOR PLACES BLOG UPDATES
SIGN UP FOR ENEWS

Places

On October 29, 1966 the Bluestars opened their own music club, the Gallows, in Remuera, above a hamburger shop and next door to the fire station. They painted the walls in deep blue and adorned them with group-themed images, artifacts and pictures of gallows. A dumbwaiter connected the nightclub with Fred’s Burger Shop on the ground floor. Click Here to Read More
Dunholme was built in the 1870s by Auckland businessman Samuel Morrin on the corner of Remuera Road and what is now Ridings Road. Thomas Buddle sold it to Andrew Caughey who leased it to the Methodist Church of New Zealand as the Methodist Theological College from 1912 to 1928. Click Here to Read More
Remuera Heritage and Parnell Heritage had a joint visit to 136 Grafton Road to learn about the history, heritage restoration and recent work done to the building. Robin Byron of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga led a large group through the 3 storeys of the now Church of Scientology and its surrounds. 136 Grafton Road was built as the Methodist Theological College in 1929 after it was previously located at Dunholme in Remuera. Click Here to Read More
Here you can find out about the history of some of the Remuera shops as a Story Map. Click Here to Read More
Take a heritage walk through the Remuera shops, starting at St Aidan's Church through the town centre to King's School. Click Here to Read More
Ellerslie racecourse has demolished the old totalisator building, retaining the "totaliser machine" and dividends board inside. The winter renovations look set to bring the public closer to the horses. Auckland Racing Club boss Paul Wilcox expects the glamour track of New Zealand thoroughbred racing to be ready to go on its planned comeback date of Saturday, October 27 2018. Click Here to Read More
Skelton's Building 339-345 Remuera Rd was built in 1928 for Robert Skelton, a carrier and coal merchant and one of Remuera's first businessmen. One of the shops retains its original frontage with tiles, leaded frieze and oak trim. Skelton’s trucks were located behind the shops at what is now 347 Remuera Road. Click Here to Read More
Remuera is a large town centre which needs a community centre: keep 4 Victoria Avenue Click Here to Read More
The Bank of New Zealand first opened in Remuera in 1929 in Skelton’s Building at 339-345 Remuera Road. In 1948 the BNZ moved to the corner of Norana Avenue and Remuera Rd. In 1970 it moved to 371-373 Remuera Rd until 1988, when it moved across the road to its present location at The Gables, 338 Remuera Road. Click Here to Read More
411-413 Remuera Road was first the site of the offices of the Remuera Road Board from 1902 until it merged with Auckland City Council in 1915. After amalgamation of the Board with Auckland City Council on 1 March 1915, the building was refitted to become the Remuera branch of the Auckland Public Library, opening on the 2nd October 1915. The old library building was later relocated to Pt Chevalier in 1926 where it operated as a Library until it was demolished to enable Great North Road to be widened and realigned. Click Here to Read More