SIGN UP FOR ENEWS

Previous Page

Street Names of Remuera

01-Dec-2010


  • Rangitoto Avenue: A volcanic cone, which used to stand south of the Orakei Basin, had this name and was later known as Little Rangitoto, but more properly was Maungarahiri. The peak here has long gone, having been quarried away. This Avenue was once called Oxford Street. 
  • Burwood Crescent: Named after a former home of Thomas Morrin, who owned land at the foot of Victoria Avenue known as Christmas Point. 
  •  Benson Road: George Benson was a very early landholder, first buying in 1841. It was called Salisbury Road until 1916. 
  •  Lucerne Road:  With its lower level reaching around the shores of the Orakei Basin, the waters of which have a lake-like appearance when the tide is in, the name was doubtless inspired by the Swiss lake of the same name. 
  •  Monteith Crescent: Much of the land in this area was Anglican Church property and thus many streets carry the names of clergy. Among other positions, the Very Rev George Rae Monteith was curate at St. Matthew’s 1928-1929, Vicar of St. Barnabas’ in Mt. Eden from 1937 to 1949, and Auckland’s Assistant Bishop from 1965 to 1976.
  • (As extracted from John Davenport’s 1990 book “Street Names of Auckland”).

  • 1844 Tamaki Rd became Remuera Rd from 1875

  • Wren’s Lane became Ridings Rd

  • Clark’s Rd became Portland Rd

  • Larkin’s Lane became Combes Rd

  • Temperance Terrace  1870 > Seddon Rd 1917 became St Vincent Avenue from 1941

  • Part Hobson St became Victoria Avenue from 1922

  • Brighton Rd > Bassett Rd after Cyril Bassett NZ’s only VC winner at Gallipoli from 1917

  • The Green Road was home to Alfred Buckland’s livestock market saleyards, hence the name Market Rd from 1887

  • Cutler’s Rd > Mountain Rd became Upland Rd from 1932

Source: Auckland City Street Names, Auckland Libraries